11.02.2009

Facebook

There are people in our lives that come and go. In mine, I have about 143. I discovered Facebook last November after our move. At first I thought it was ludicrous to be a part of social networking and then I gave it a try. It was wonderful. I reconnected with people that I hadn't talked to in years. My move was a scary and lonely thing. But Facebook made me feel not so alone. I reconnected with my best girlfriends in the east. The ones that I spent 10 years with. We raised our children together, attended each other's baby showers, babysat each other's kids and spent our days laughing, crying, screaming and thoroughly enjoying raising our little village together; there's 19 kids between us.

Facebook also opened my eyes to just how successful others were. I was suprised by some of the lives that others I knew have lived. I didn't realize so many were world travelers, owned such amazing homes and had such lucrative careers. "Thou shalt not covet" races through my head when I see the postings of certain people because I just need enough money to buy some school clothes for Kid 1. He's growing again.

For the most part though, my friends are in a similar spot to us; they've got the maxed out credit cards, a lot of debt, the older cars, a roof over their heads that isn't their dream home and a career in something completely different than they went to college for but can't make a change because truthfully, any job is a good job. The alternative is where we still are - working ourselves out of unemployment.