We have caller ID and don't answer half of the callers that call. Everytime I talked to a bill collector, they were somewhat degrading, demanding and even threatening. I got tired of explaining my situation: unemployment, illness, and living on $600 a month.
The ridiculous part of the conversation is when the collector says, "Well, you are accruing interest until this is paid off." I shake my head and wonder, "Really? You think this will help my situation? What planet do you come from? I just got done telling you that I have nothing."
And then I hang up, knowing that they will call back in several days. We won't be answering the phone.
How does it make any sense to charge such high interest on a bill? Even if I got a job tomorrow, I would still have to pay things off slowly; basically I'd be paying off the interest for the past two years before I even got to the original amount of the original debt.
How is it that the government is TRILLIONS of dollars in debt and still functioning?
I think I hate money.