11.02.2009

Scholarships

There is no money for anything that is not necessary. Kid 1 and 2 know this and Kid 3 is still learning. It's one of the reasons we steer clear of stores -  to avoid the "Can I have a treat?" syndrome. There's never the intention to ask for something or splurge on something not needed. Not only is it a hard concept for a young child to learn, but it's an uneasy feeling as a mother to know that as much as I want to, I can't just buy them each the world.

Kid 1 is an amazing teenager. Good in every way. Kid 1 loves scouting more than life! He wanted to attend a week long youth leadership program that cost $175. He didn't want to ask. We knew it was coming up. We also knew that he really needed and deserved to go. We found out that the Boy Scouts of America offered a hardship scholarship for half of the camp payment. I wrote a letter explaining our circumstances and two weeks later we heard back that he received the scholarship. We scrounged up the money and paid the other half. Kid 1 had an amazing time at camp and when the event was over, wrote a thank you note to those that sponsored his scholarship.